Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mundane is it?


The last week has been quite a revelation for me. Huffing and puffing up the stairs I realized the extent of my seated digital life. Apart from work, I was pretty content with communicating with friends and family on Facebook, building a network on Facebook, building a city on Facebook and whole lot of other things…on, of course, Facebook.

What was even more fascinating is that I actually went home tired from doing that. I generally slumped myself on the couch and watched TV till the choice was between dragging myself up to make dinner or go hungry. One such day last week I watched the movie Ratatouille.

And it dawned on me…I have always loved cooking. From being restricted to omelets as a kid to whipping up 4 course dinner parties for a maximum of 25, cooking has been therapeutic to say the least. So why did it become a chore? The answer was fairly simple. Because I chose to see cooking as a chore!

If you think of it, cooking can be the most creative thing you do in the day. Combining ingredients to bring out the best flavor, watching the spices crackle in the oil, the aroma that fills the kitchen, all that is left is some good music in the background, and oh heaven! You let out a sigh after everything is in done, be it in anticipation of the accolades or the criticism you will receive. All this is so real and so much better than clicking on icons and pressing buttons.

And you know what, cooking actually helps you develop quite a few skills. I for one, multi-task, organize, meet deadlines, find the next best substitute and extract the most of available resources, all in the name of cooking.  (That sentence can actually fit in a corporate scenario). 


Talking of corporate scenarios, cooking also has an appraisal system – one that happens within the next 2 hours or so. And the best part, no matter what the result is, your hard work is always appreciated with the most precious gift ever – smiling family members, for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment